Humour, if done well, gives us the ability to focus on and to understand difficult, complex situations which we would normally be inclined to avoid. It can give us courage to feel like we are all ‘in it together to create a better response. And it can help to reveal current dynamics in the situation which are ridiculous, silly, or genius – increasing our ability to hold ourselves and others accountable, and to adapt changes as needed. In order for us to find humorous aspects, we must mentally temporarily ‘step out’ of the situation and of how we typically think of the situation. Just doing that reminds us that these are not fixed and can change.
In this highly interactive workshop, we will:
- Go through the basics to create a compassionate form of humour
- Learn a basic joke structure
- Practice exploring ideas our brains don’t normally entertain
- Use humorous metaphors to explain aspects of complex situations
- Understand how to become an adorable version of yourself when you present
- Discuss how to bring these skills back to work to support corporate activism
This workshop addresses a way of communicating which helps to engage others in co-created change using compassion and delight.